There are many different ways that a Scottsdale cosmetic dentist can enhance the beauty of your smile. Some smile makeover treatments will involve multiple dental procedures combined in order to achieve the desired results, others will simply involve one treatment option. In the latter case, porcelain dental veneers will be used. Let's take a moment right now to consider the pros and cons of porcelain dental veneers so that you have a good understanding of what they can achieve for you.
About Porcelain Dental Veneers
Porcelain dental veneers are thin shells of specially crafted dental ceramic. These shells are placed on the front portions of the teeth in order to conceal various aesthetic imperfections.
Ideal Candidates for Porcelain Dental Veneers
The best candidates for porcelain veneers will be determined by a Scottsdale cosmetic and restorative dentistry expert during a consultation. In general, the best candidates are people who suffer from the following:
- Chipped teeth
- Cracked teeth
- Stained teeth
- Crooked teeth
- Uneven teeth
- Tooth gaps
The Advantages/Pros of Porcelain Dental Veneers
There are many different benefits to getting Scottsdale porcelain veneers. Some of these advantages include:
- Porcelain veneers are virtually undetectable - Since the material is semi-translucent, the porcelain veneers blend in seamlessly with natural tooth structure.
- Porcelain veneers are versatile - Porcelain veneers are able to address multiple dental problems simultaneously, reducing treatment times and treatment complexity.
- Porcelain veneers will not stain - The porcelain veneer material is resistant to stains and discoloration.
The Disadvantages/Cons of Porcelain Dental Veneers
As with any dental treatment, there are disadvantages to treatment that are important to keep in mind. These include:
- Porcelain veneers treatment is irreversible - Once porcelain veneers are in place, removal is very difficult and actually not recommended given the effects on the tooth's structure.
- Porcelain veneers are cosmetic in nature rather than restorative - While porcelain veneers are versatile, they are made to address aesthetic problems only, not dental health concerns.
Alternatives to Porcelain Dental Veneers
There are many different alternatives to porcelain veneers to consider if the veneers prove to be ineffective for treating your dental problem. For instance, there is teeth whitening to treat tooth discoloration, dental bonding for chips and cracks, orthodontic treatment for serious malocclusion, and dental crowns for major tooth damage. The best alternative is determined by the dental health needs of the patient.
Weighing All of Your Options for Smile Makeover Treatment
As you can see, there are plenty of potential treatments that can improve your overall smile appearance and dental health. We will weigh all of these options carefully to ensure that you receive the best possible dental care. During your smile makeover consultation, we will go over all of the pros and cons to each dental treatment so that you can make the best decision possible.
Schedule a Smile Makeover Consultation Today
For more information about porcelain dental veneers and your many other options for advanced dental care treatment, be sure to contact our Scottsdale cosmetic dentistry center today. Our entire team looks forward to meeting you in person and helping you achieve excellent dental health in the process.